Monday, December 19, 2011

Slipping Faith

Signs that Faith Is Slipping

Written by Dr. Bill Bagents

“Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away” (Hebrews 2:1).

Drifting isn’t just possible; it’s a major, constant, and common danger. I recently read a list on the internet, “10 Signs Your Christianity Has become too Comfortable.” It made me think, and it invited me to work on the items below. Perhaps you can add to and “improve” this list of frightening signs.

  1. The truth of Romans 5:6-8, especially “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us,” no longer moves me to humility, gratitude, and commitment.
  2. Prayer is cold or robotic rather than robust and intimate (Luke 22:44).
  3. The Bible, if I read it, tells me what others ought to be and do.
  4. Worshiping with the saints is increasingly optional (John 4:23-24).
  5. Giving is a good idea if I feel like it, but it’s not part of who I am.
  6. My language has been more “earthy,” and my conscience is OK with that (Ephesians 5:1-7).
  7. I see people in terms of their function (what they can do for me or how they complicate my life) rather than as souls made in God’s image.
  8. I want what I want, and I don’t really care how that affects others.
  9. Before acting, I no longer ask, “Is this right? Will it honor God?”
  10. I don’t want to be challenged to grow, think, or serve (2 Peter 1:5-11).

No comments:

Post a Comment