Monday, October 24, 2011

Campaign in Texas

Observations in Texas

Written by Hannah Burleson
Student at Heritage Christian University

Editor’s Note: Students at Heritage Christian University participate in evangelistic campaigns every semester. Hannah, having just returned from such an endeavor in Texas, gives her observations


When we arrived in Texas, I began to notice some of the differences there are compared to Alabama. After making a mental note of several, I thought I better start jotting them down before I started to forget them.

  1. The traffic lights in Texas are all horizontal. What's the deal? Do they have something against the vertical traffic lights everywhere else?
  2. The Mexican food we had in Texas was good. But given the choice, I'd still go with Buena Vista in Cullman, Alabama :)
  3. Texans are serious about getting where they are going. Some of the roads in Texas are 70 MPH. In Alabama, the same roads would be 55 MPH, at best. Additionally, their medians are really wide. And if someone is driving slower than you, they kindly get in the median long enough for you to pass them. It's a great system.
  4. People in Texas are amazing cooks. I daresay, better than cooks in Alabama. The food these wonderful brothers and sisters made for us was phenomenal.
  5. Apparently, the favorite fast food places were Jack in the Box and Whataburger. They were everywhere. Neither of which I have seen around here.
  6. You know you're an HCU student when you hear someone mention Waco, Texas and your mind automatically thinks, "I've cited a publisher there in some of my research papers."
  7. Don't worry. The vehicles are not all driving in reverse. It's just that in Texas, you are required to have a tag on both the front AND the back of the vehicle.
  8. "Hard" water is a blessing which shouldn't be taken for granted. After trying to rinse my hands for double the time it normally takes and they still felt soapy, I realized that they won't. And neither will my hair when I wash it. Because the water here feels soapy in and of itself--that's how "soft" it is.
  9. Never trust a GPS in Texas. It confused Fairfield church of Christ with a ranch in the middle of nowhere.
  10. I've had plenty of sawmill gravy and my fair share of chocolate gravy. But did you know that tomato gravy existed? It does. And it's pretty good.

These are just a few of the surface observations that I took the time to write down on our trip to Texas.

On a more serious note, it was, as it always is, such a joy and a blessing to be able to meet, know, and love more brothers and sisters in Christ. It is always an encouragement to know more of our family members in the Lord.

This trip was a blessing to us for several reasons. First, it was a blessing to meet, love, and know the church in Fairfield. Second, it was a blessing to get to know our fellow students on a deeper level. Finally, it was a blessing to be able to meet lost people and to be able to show them Christ and the salvation that He offers.

First, the church at Fairfield blew me away. They welcomed us like no church I've ever met before. This was my fifth campaign with HCU and I've never seen a church so willing to work. I've never seen a church that steps up in every way and that truly wraps her arms around us in the way that this one did. Jason and Jill and their beautiful family are a clear blessing to the church there and it was such a privilege to be able to work with and know them. I will never forget the church in Fairfield and the wonderful family that I know and love there. I pray that the Lord will bless them and keep them, til we meet again.

Second, I've realized just how blessed Heritage Christian University is to have such amazing students. There are some real men of God at HCU and I have no doubt that great things will come as a result. These men are willing to be used in whatever way God chooses. After the meetings each night, Matt and I had the privilege of hanging out together and getting to know each other better. We were able to have some really great discussions about Christianity and about the Lord's church. We got a glimpse into the hearts of these guys and we were truly amazed at the things we saw in each one.

Finally, it was a blessing to meet lost people who are searching and to be able to show them Christ. After knocking several hundred doors and getting less than desirable responses (just ask Kyle--he knocked a door and the response was, "Well you can just gospel yourselves on down the road) it is nice to finally come to that door where you meet the soul that may be the very reason that the campaign took place. We met a young lady named Tiffany who was searching for a church to become involved with. She took a great interest in Fairfield and Jason and Jill are going to follow up. The Lord willing, she will learn about salvation and be able to experience the many blessings that come with it. Out of 800 doors, 1 door that results in a saved soul makes the entire campaign worth it all.

I think I've made it abundantly clear how blessed I've been by this campaign on several levels. I am thankful to be a part of a school who tries to live out its mission on a practical level. Thank you to the school for making these kinds of experiences and blessings possible. And thank you to churches like the one in Fairfield who are willing to partner with HCU and live out what they preach on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment